Revisiting the industrial shredder for scrap cars

14 Dec 2017


About a couple of years ago the scrap and recycling arm of the automobile industry awoke to the news of a pioneering machine. This machine is believed to be capable of crushing about 450 cars in an hour. In 2004, this machine was believed to be the biggest industrial shredder in the world. It is situated in a recycling centre in Newport, Wales. It is a modern scrap recycling location that has received a wholesome investment of over £15 million pounds. This massive investment was to leverage on the rich scrap car market. The car crusher in Newport Wales is believed to have the largest shredding box in the world according to reports.

The ability to crush over 450 scrap cars in an hour is made possible due to a built-in 9,200 horsepower electric motor. The compartment of this device has a massive motor with a weight of about 95 tonnes and spins at about 400rpm. This enables it to crush scrap cars and propel it through the grids effectively. Having a device like this ensures that scrap vehicles are properly recycled to ensure they do not create any hazard to the environment.

There is an additional account of this powerful shredding device valued at £10 million but located in a £15 million recycling facility. It functions like most shredders but cars are usually broken down into smaller units and released into the device. The LYNX is designed with a Twin Roll Compression Feeder to help stagger the amount of scrap metal released to it. This helps prevent clogging of the industrial shredder and facilitates optimal performance. The super fast spinning hammers are powered by 11kv and a high voltage electric motor that ensures about 350 tons of materials can be easily crushed per hour. The enormous size and capability of this shredder require it to be wired straight into the Welsh national power grid for adequate energy.

Ultimately, the scrap metal industry gets delighted by the final output from this device as a super highly-concentrated even fragmented scrap is produced. The ability to process a variety of materials is also noteworthy as glass pieces, plastic, rubber and scrap metal are easily separated. The non-metal materials are often forwarded for recycling and these units are easily exported to places like South East Asia which has an increasing appetite for these scrap parts. One easily understands the importance of this device and the recycling in the scrap metal industry of Europe. It helps in the breaking down of end of life vehicles into their root materials for onward exportation or recycling. The scrap metal recycling plant in Newport, Wales, processes over 50,000 tones of the end of life cars and refrigerators.

This recycling site is viewed as the largest in Europe and processes about 50,000 tonnes of materials a month. With this sheer capacity, a large number of scrap cars can be crushed and 10% supplied nationally. The remaining 90 percent can be exported to buyers across the globe. The UK economy is benefiting a great deal from the exploits of this industrial shredder due to its impressive output.

 

Image Credit: Autoexpress via Gizmodo